MATTEHATTER ❝ blog · fashion · lifestyle ❞  | ·   home  ·   follow  ·   about  ·   contact   ·

SEARCH


FOLLOW ME

MATTEHATTER
Someone suggested that I should start a personal style blog. And I thought to myself, "Why not?" It could be really fun. Or not. Anyhoo, this is my little hole-in-the-wall of vintage finds, style obsessions and the sort. Let's not take things too seriously around here, shall we?


INSTAGRAM
Follow my instagram @ mattehatter

ARCHIVES




Gillman Barracks
POSTED ON : Saturday 20 April 2013
A few weeks back, I was too bored and decided to dwell into a deep reflection of myself as a person. The conclusion of the reflection? I can be an oddball at times, I'm always late and I have absolutely zero cultural depth. Let's work on the easy one.

I slowly began to develop an appreciation for the arts and the commendable effort behind every piece of work. I started opening my eyes to local budding artists, exposing myself to another side of Singapore I haven't come to know about (shame on me) - its vibrant arts and cultural scene.

Talking in generalities doesn't really help here. So lets's talk about Gillman Barracks, shall we?

A former military site (how apt now that I'm in the army) preserved and transformed into a contemporary art cluster, Gillman Barracks is the answer to Singapore's bid to make art a bigger part of people's lives. It houses 17 commercial galleries (each with its own unique and distinct styles) and a Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA). And to make things even sweeter, it's free of charge.

Set amidst lush greenery, I thought it would be a cool place for an outfit shoot. So here goes:











I had a chance to speak with one of the curators at the Rodel Tapaya Exhibition. She filled me in on the many exciting events that Gillman Barracks has in plans. Despite that, she admitted the place is a ghost town.

"Not many people have actually come to know about Gillman Barracks. It can get pretty quiet around here on a daily basis. We are beefing up on our marketing efforts right now but it's all a step at a time" 








We often claim that the arts scene in Singapore is lacking and inadequate. Probably due to its insane censorship regulations - Singapore is not exactly the most open society around. I totally get that, especially after the recent incident with the Sticker Lady (oh by the way, your stickers and artwork were really awesome) and disruptive art as a whole.  But I feel sometimes we may either be too overly critical or just plain indifferent towards the local arts scene.

I strongly believe that support should always come from home. If we don't even have that, how do we expect our local artists/art communities to have any form of improvement, and needless to say, gain any international recognition?

So it's the weekends now. You have yet to plan anything. I say make a trip down to Gillman Barracks. Pictures really don't do justice to the amazing display of artworks and its entire aesthetic allure. Like many of the best experiences, you just have to be there.

Photo Credits: Gillman Barracks
This one is my personal favorite, but I wasn't able to take a nice picture when I was there. So I had to resort to taking it from the site~

On Me: Green Jacket(thrifted), Striped Tee by H&M, Chino Pants by Muji
Photography: Benedict

Labels: , , , , , , ,


← Newer Post
Older Post →